Put simply, January can be shite.
Feeling down, it’s dark, cold and wet. Christmas has come and gone and that New Year buzz and new year new me positivity could possibly be already dead.
So how do we generate some positivity and motivation to get back on track?
Well as always, there’s no quick fix, no magic pill. If you truly want to motivate yourself and move forwards with your health and fitness. It will require planning and commitment to yourself.
Here’s my top tips get motivated this January and beat the January blues.
1. Set specific, and achievable goals for yourself. This will give you a clear sense of direction and purpose, and help you stay motivated as you work towards achieving them. Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Clear, concise simple goals. Some people get turned off when you mention goal setting. But without doubt one of the most effective means of achievement, is writing stuff down and actioning it.
2. Break down larger goals into smaller, manageable tasks. This will make the goal feel less daunting and give you a sense of accomplishment as you complete each task.
3. Reward yourself for reaching milestones or achieving your goals. This can be as simple as treating yourself to something you enjoy. Every victory and progression no matter how small should be celebrated and acknowledged.
4. Surround yourself with positive people and positive environment. If you’re around people that bring you down, make you feel low, are negative to your goals and aspirations, seriously how do you think you’ll feel about yourself? Surround yourself with positive, friendly people that inspire and motivate you. Again, how do you think you’ll feel about yourself?
5. Practice self-care and do things you enjoy. If you’re not meeting your bodies needs don’t be surprised when it fails you or your energy levels are low. Start looking after yourself. Begin to nourish your body and eat well. Work on training consistently. These things are none negotiable. If you want a happy, purposeful life, you need a body and mind that is functioning well and has its needs met.
Motivation is never found and is always created, so if you want to get over the January blues and boost your motivation, set some meaningful goals, break them down in smaller tasks to action, reward your progress, surround yourself with positive people and take care of your mind and body.